Individual and group tutoring is offered to all undergraduates for many of the general education courses. Tutors will work closely with students and professors to focus upon meeting the needs of each student.
Our program seeks to:
• Assist students through individual or small group tutoring sessions;
• Enhance, support and clarify concepts discussed in class lectures and reading;
• Provide students with personal assistance to help develop appropriate study skills in specific subject areas.
How Does Tutoring Work?
• Individual & Small Group
• $45/$90 per class per semester (that’s between $3-6 per week!)
◊ $90 for individual tutoring, meeting for one hour on a weekly basis
◊ $45 for small group tutoring, meeting for one hour on a weekly basis
• Meet each week for an hour
• Have many subjects pre-approved and ready to go
◊ Anatomy, Physio, Chem, Greek, Spanish, French, and more
◊ Others can be recruited upon request
Who Does the Tutoring?
• Typically, tutors are upper division students who have already taken and successfully completed the course in question.
• Recommended by the departmental faculty as both a good student and able tutor.
Okay, How Do I Sign Up?
• Download and complete the Tutoring Request Form (pdf)
◊ Return form in person or via email to Learning Center (firstname.lastname@example.org)
◊ There are many options available including weekends, evenings, and early mornings. Schedules are developed individually based on student and tutor availability.
• Sign the Tutoring contract
◊ Agree to abide by standards and guidelines of the LC Tutoring Program.
◊ Agree to respect your tutor's time, and maintain all scheduled appointments through the semester.
◊ Services are nonrefundable.
What if the Learning Center cannot find me a tutor?
◊ You can search and hire one personally through off campus student employment
◊ If you need tutoring in a math class, try the Math Lab (website link)
◊ If you need assistance with a paper, try the Writing Center (website link)
◊ Try Academic Advising (website link)
◊ Contact your major advisor
◊ If you need tutoring in a business course, contact the Business Tutoring Program
◊ If your issue is English as a second language, contact ELSP.
Do the spots fill up?
◊ Typically we can accommodate all requests for tutoring, however we cannot always guarantee individual tutoring if there is large demand for a particular course.
When can I sign up?
◊ The sooner the better.
◊ Tutoring sessions are limited and are available on a first-come, first served basis. Students are strongly encouraged to sign up early.
How can I become a tutor?
Tutoring positions are available to Biola students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and a grade of B+ or higher in the course they wish to tutor. We are looking for students who have excellent communication skills, are self-motivated, enjoy working with others and are excited about the subject they wish to tutor. Stop by the Learning Center for an application.
Learning Center Contact Info:
Location: Top floor of Library
The Learning Center
Biola University Library
13800 Biola Avenue
La Mirada, CA 90639
Monday-Tuesday 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.*
Wednesday 10 a.m. -3 p.m.*
Thursday 10 a.m. -4:30 p.m.*
Friday Appointments Only Please
*Appointments are strongly encouraged and are available beyond the posted “walk-in” times. Please contact us to schedule a meeting. We are closed occasionally for lunch.