Chapel Reduction Process
University chapels and conferences are part of the larger spiritual development curriculum that Biola intends for its students, designed to equip you in mind and character to impact the world for Jesus Christ. Because your spiritual development is foundational to your education, attendance at chapel events and conferences is required. Remember, there are several different offerings for which you can receive credit.
Students are required to attend 30 chapels each semester (15 of which must be in person and cannot be reduced). This amounts to two (2) chapels per week in total or one (1) per week for your minimum physical attendance requirement.
Currently, there are 8 chapels offered by Spiritual Development each week (not including department chapels each semester). Chapel and conference sessions are viewed in the same light as required academic classes. Therefore it is Biola University’s expectation that students make room in their schedules to include these 30 chapels each semester as part of their academic studies.
8 Chapels offered per week over a 15 week semester. All total there are close to 120+ opportunities to complete these 30 requirements.
- Sun, Singspiration (@ 8:00pm, Sutherland Auditorium)
- Mon, Undergrad Chapel (@ 9:30am, Gym)
- Tues, Talbot Chapel (@ 9:30am, Calvary Chapel)
- Tues, Fives (@ 5:00pm, Calvary Chapel)
- Wed, Undergrad Chapel (@ 9:30am, Gym)
- Wed, After Dark Chapel (@ 9:10pm, Calvary Chapel)
- Thurs, Undergrad Chapel (@ 9:30am, Calvary Chapel)
- Fri, Undergrad Chapel (@ 9:30am, Gym)
- Sat, Sabbathing Chapels (@ 9:00am, Calvary Chapel: 2/9, 3/23, 5/11)
As we’ve worked with students over the years, we’ve come to know quite well the different situations that can make chapel attendance a challenge. Therefore, we do allow students to request reductions in their requirement on a semester-by-semester basis. However, please remember that one's physical attendance requirement (15) cannot be reduced.
If you cannot attend an average of two (2) chapels per week, please click here to access the reduction request form.