No Car? No Problem!
Tired of begging for rides? Trying to borrow a friend's car? The WeCar is here, and you can rent it by the hour!
• Enterprise Rent-a-Car has brought two rent-by-the-hour cars to Biola.
• Costs: $20 one-time fee + $25 annually for membership. Car rental $8-9/hour (includes gas).
• Additional info: WeCar.com
In Southern California, for better or worse, being without a car can leave you feeling like a second-class citizen.
Now, there are cars right on campus that students, faculty, and staff can rent by the hour, up to 24 hours. Enterprise Rent-a-Car has brought the WeCar program to Biola.
The program has a one-time non-refundable $20 application fee and $25 annual membership fee. Members then have access to two cars, an environmentally-friendly Toyota Prius Hybrid and a Ford Focus, both parked in Lot H near the Bookstore.
The rates for rental are:
* Ford Focus $8 hourly rate and Toyota Prius $9 hourly rate; includes gasoline.
* Overnight rate is $35/overnight (6 p.m. to 8 a.m.).
* Daily rate is $64/day (any 24 hour period).
* First 200 miles per rental are included. Additional miles are $0.35/mile.
Unlike many rental cars, students under 21 can rent the cars. However, if you’re between the ages of 18 and 20, you must:
* Submit a signed Parent/Guardian Consent Form which provides proof of coverage.
* For those Members without insurance, WeCar will provide liability protection up to the State minimum financial liability.
It should be noted that WeCar is for personal use only; it is not for university business and its use is not reimbursable by the university.
The system appears to be pretty simple. Once becoming a member,:
1. Log on to the WeCar site with your Member ID and personally selected password. You can make a reservation 24/7.
2. Once you log in, you’ll be taken right to the reservation page where you can search for available cars. It will direct you to the nearest available WeCar vehicle for the day and time you’ve requested. If you change your mind, you must cancel your reservation at least 8 hours before your scheduled time or you will be billed.
3. Simply go to the WeCar vehicle at your reservation time and hold your membership card over the sensor in the windshield.
4. The system will recognize you and the car will unlock.
5. The keys to the ignition are waiting for you in the glove box.
Then, when returning the car:
1. return the car to the same location where you found it.
2. That way, the next WeCar member can find it as easily as you did.
3. Put the ignition key back where you found it in the glove box.
4. Finally, hold your membership card over the sensor in the windshield to signal the end of your rental, and you’re finished.
And an important note on locking the car:
* If you park the car during your rental, lock it as you normally would (with the key or doorlock) and take the key with you. Do NOT use your membership card to lock the car during your rental. Locking it up with your membership card DURING your rental signals the system that you’ve finished your rental early and you could be locked out of the car.
* To re-enter the car, use the “unlock” button on the key chain.
* Only use your membership card to unlock the car at the beginning of your reservation and to lock the car at the end.
Learn more at www.wecar.com. The FAQ is at http://www.wecar.com/faq.html and should be read before joining.
Important Legal Information
A message from Biola legal counsel:
In becoming a member, individuals will form a contractual relationship with WeCar that does not involve Biola University. Biola University has no control or responsibility for that contract or for any individual’s use of the WeCar, as Biola University has no financial interest in WeCar, nor is WeCar an agent or affiliate of Biola University.
In addition, please understand that Biola University does not have any ownership right or control of the WeCar, nor any responsibility or liability for any injury, inherent risk, or damage to persons or property that result from the use of the WeCar. Members are personally responsible for their usage, as well as any fees, penalties, or fines associated with their membership and reservations.
We understand that WeCar provides insurance to its members. Biola University has no involvement in the provision of this insurance or the terms of its coverage. You can obtain information regarding the insurance coverage by contacting WeCar and you may also wish to speak to your insurance agent or broker regarding whether the insurance provided by WeCar is sufficient or whether supplemental insurance is necessary or desirable.